Monday, August 2, 2010

Necklace Tutorial

A promise is a promise. When I showed you some of my necklaces that I have made I said I would show you how to make them.  You can see the other necklaces here.   

This necklace tutorial can also be used for bracelets.  You will just make it shorter so that it fits on your wrist. 

Ok here we go.

I have an obsession with beads.  Once I start buying them, I can’t quit.  My favorite places to buy beads are listed below.  Click on the name to take you to the website.

Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Happy Mango Beads

Gifts Joy

HHH Enterprises

I also shop at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

IMG_2405

This is most of my collection.  I recommend these containers that can be found at most craft stores.  It makes it easy to store and see your beads.

IMG_2411

 

IMG_2413

I would like to have better jewelry tools.  I have a mini tool kit that I use.   It is also much easier to make jewelry if you get a board that will help you measure and see your design before you build your necklace.

IMG_2408

I use this nylon coated wire from Hobby Lobby.  Sometimes I buy the one that is “Best” flexibility instead of just good.

IMG_2410

These are my favorite necklace clasps from Hobby Lobby.  I rarely buy pure silver because of the cost.  You also need crimp beads.

IMG_2424

Use the board to measure the wire.  I like my necklaces to be around the 8 to 9 mark.  It depends on your  neck size and how long you want the necklace to be.  Always give your self at least an inch and a half on either end of extra wire to be able to attach the clasps. 

IMG_2420

IMG_2421

Cut your wire with wire cutters.

IMG_2422

I chose simple beads so I could make this necklace easily.  The bigger the beads the faster you can make it.

IMG_2433

I placed my pearls on the board and then added the pink beads in between.

IMG_2435

Here are some ideas for a pendant for this  necklace.  I didn’t use one though.

IMG_2437

If you use a pendant then you want to center it.   I removed a pearl so that the beads would be even on either side of the pendant.

IMG_2439

Place a crimp bead onto the nylon wire.

IMG_2426

Add the clasp.  And then put the wire back into the crimp to form a loop. 

 IMG_2428

Push the crimp bead close to the clasp and use either a crimper or some flat pliers to smash the crimp bead onto the wire. 

IMG_2430

IMG_2432

Start adding beads.

IMG_2444

IMG_2447

When you get all of your beads onto the wire then you need to add the other end of the clasp.  First you have to put on another crimp bead.

IMG_2451

Make sure that you pull the crimp bead and the clasp down next to the bead and crimp.

IMG_2453

Trim the wire long enough to fit it into the bead so it will stay but short enough so you can work with it by bending it and getting it into the bead hole.

IMG_2455

IMG_2456

IMG_2457

IMG_2458

I hope this helps you make some great jewelry.  If you want to make multi stranded necklaces then you just add more wires into the same crimp bead. 

Thanks for taking time to read my tutorial. 

signature2

Linking to

Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative

Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple

DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

Anything Related @ All Things Related

Get Your Craft On @ Today’s Creative Blog

Topsy Turvey Tuesdays @ I’m Topsy Turvey

Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts

DIY Tutorial @ Fine Craft Guild

Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails