Sunday, March 28, 2010

Decorating Rocks…literally

I have a wonderful friend that has a home in Long Island, New York.  I mentioned that I liked the rocks from the movie Something’s Gotta Give where Diane Keaton collects the white rocks off the beach, but never the black ones.  I loved the look of the rocks so she sent me some.  I had a little frame looking shadow box that would work perfectly to display my treasure.  It was dark wood so I painted it cream and then used a dry brush with burnt umber acrylic paint on the edges instead of sanding for a distressed look and I glazed it.  I also glazed the pot next to it for an antique look.  I used my favorite Folkart Plaid antiquing polish.  I found where it can be ordered if anyone is interested.  You can order it here:

http://www.hofcraft.com/plaidfolkartantiquingpolish.htm

I also tried to apply my new skills I learned at Donna’s Funky Junk Interiors

She is doing a series on how to take better photos.  The first lesson was to keep your camera still.  So here are my photos of my rocks while staying rock solid still.  I hope you enjoy.

 002

 

008

 

003

 

013

Aren’t these rocks so pretty?  I love them.  She threw in a couple of black ones!

004

 

005

 

014

Here is a close up of the dry brushing with acrylic paint on the edges.

007

I think the photos look better.  I can’t wait to learn more.  This is shades of white that I think I got right. I am thinking of tackling a paint job on my potting bench in honor of spring.

Thanks for looking.

no_2

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails